Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Third year rotations over!

I finished RadOnc/Research last Friday and actually passed my Family "shelf" test the same day. I studied pretty hard for the latter and it paid off since it was a very hard test. Wish I had a better score, but passing is passing at this point.

RadOnc is for the most part off my radar. I like it, the lifestyle, income and tech is great. But Emergency is probably a better for me, and certainly for our family. So instead of studying for the Third Year Final on Friday, I've been working on EM spreadsheet and trying to finalize audition rotations for the Fall. I have a couple lined up, Arrowhead, CA in August and Christiana in November, but am still working on Tufts for October.

It's just so hard to get into studying anymore. I spend an hour or so reading EM posts on Studentdoctor.net this evening reliving the Match (March madness) for the Fourth years. Pretty scary and seems like EM is getting pretty competitive. Looks like I'll have to list a lot of schools to make sure I don't end up scrambling for a residency spot.

My diet is going pretty well. I'm under 210 for the first time in awhile. I'm swimming regularly and getting in decent shape. I'm also fitting in more than one road bike workout a week. I just installed the Garmin Edge 305 and am having a blast with it using a tenth of the functions (HR, GPS, cadence, etc.). It feels great to get out there and I can't wait to get my legs back after several years of studying. Only 15 or so pounds to go.

Time to get back to studying the 60 lectures were going to be tested on this Friday. At least its not as stressful. It just doesn't feel like grades matter at this point. I have my OSCE tomorrow which is a test of four patient encounters. The actors/patients grade us and then our chart notes are graded. I'm pretty much winging it. It I fail either, I just try again. No long term consequence for these. Step 2 in July is another story though...

No comments: