Thursday, August 30, 2007

Step 2

Well this isn't where I had hoped to be. Ideally I wanted to get both COMLEX and USMLE Step 2 exams out of the way before audition rotations and have scores that improved on my Step 1 scores to show off at residency interviews.

COMLEX Step 2 came back at just about exactly the same as my Step 1 score (551 vs. 565). Statistically they are identical. No problem there, however it looks like I won't be applying to any Osteopathic programs.

The Allopathic programs are going to be much more interested in my Step 2 scores. And my USMLE Step 2 score came back at 210 versus 225 for Step 1. The for Step 1 was an average of about 217 (180 is passing) with a Standard Error of Measurement (SEM) of 7 or so. Step has an average of 221 with the same SEM and a Standard Deviation of 24. In other words both scores are ok, but Step 2 is at the trailing end of average scores so worst case is that some programs now don't offer me interviews.

The whole thing is very frustrating with 20/20 hindsight. I didn't have to take USMLE Step 2 at all, and certainly not before ERAS applications went out. So I spent $500 for the test which now may have done me a great disservice.

Looking back I should have probably dropped out of the test before I finished it. I just couldn't concentrate well with interruptions from other test takers, the staff and the frigid temperatures. I kept running out of time and having to guess at the last couple questions for each block. The block right after lunch I didn't even read the last 5-6, I just entered guesses in the last 20 seconds. I should have practiced a lot more timed tests on my Qbank account.

So, now what to do. I'm going to ask around for some advice. I could just enter my COMLEX in ERAS and then present Step 1 USMLE when asked, but that might come across as hiding something. Or I can just submit the scores and go for broke, hopefully that I have a chance to address any concerns about the score in person. This probably the best strategy, but I hoping out to see if there's any other options. I still want my application to be complete by early September so I'm at the front of applicant pool.

The whole thing kind of bums me out. Instead of being a confidence builder, I spent all this money on something I feel a bit embarrassed about. I know I could have done significantly better. Moreover, I don't think the score represents my knowledge or ability. Ironically, the ridiculous and even unprofessional COMLEX test seems like a better representation of my study efforts and knowledge. I would have rested a lot more easily with a 220 or above.

No comments: