Sunday, December 23, 2007

Finished plastics

Get getting around to this rotation summary a week and a half late. My Emergency Medicine post-rotation exam and several interviews side-lined me for awhile. I passed the exam and will blog about the interviews next.

Well I am very impressed with Dr. Kotoske's practice. It's almost unique in medicine today to have a sole practice with its own operating room and over twenty employees (6-8 at any given time). But cosmetic surgery, as cash pay service, is one of the last truly lucrative fields in medicine.

More importantly, Dr. Kotoske has a great reputation for his Quicklift procedure, breast augmentation and tummy tucks. I also saw him do one nose job (rhinoplasty) on a gorgeous young lady that had had a life-long complex about a slight asymmetry. But who has a naturally symmetrical nose anyway?

Breast jobs are just fun. You take young, generally already attractive females and give them these large, shapely breasts that are incredibly attractive. But the best part is seeing their new self-confidence and huge smiles (many times with smiling significant others present as well) at the post-op visits a couple of days after surgery. I guess if I was a breast guy I would find the artistry more appealing. I'm just not a perfectionist like Dr. Kotoske when it comes to breasts.

The Quicklifts are a great invention. They are the perfect surgical treatment for the majority of women over 50 that want to look 10 years younger. I might be interested in one myself someday, except that I'd need something for my forehead wrinkles. I don't see myself doing botox anytime soon.

The tummy tucks were the most physically demanding procedures and the most "barbaric" on the patient. Lots of flank and abdomen liposuction followed by blunt dissection of the abdominal tissue from belly button to ribs. Then two big, generally several pound, flaps of flesh get removed. Finally, there's a multi-layer closure with multiple deep sutures and staples on the skin.

All the patients looked great at the post-op visits, were thrilled with the results and couldn't stop thanking Dr. K. for his work. Not a bad gig!

If it wasn't so competitive and cut throat to get into with a masochistic residency I would be tempted. However, Emergency Medicine is definitely a better fit for me and for the family. It was an easy rotation that convinced me cosmetic surgery isn't too vain and Dr. K. is one of the surgeons I would consider using for myself someday.

No comments: