Thursday, July 17, 2008

Loving EM

Well it's been about two weeks of shifts now. I'm starting to get the hang of the computer system, the hospital specific idiosyncrasies and how to survive eight hours of 100% focus. I've also learned a ton of medicine, procedures and interesting patient presentations.

All in all, my community hospital month is a great way to start residency. The attendings have been great. I'm getting lots of accolades from patients about my bedside manor and patient care. The attendings seem to believe I'm doing a good job as well. Best of all, I feel like I'm in the right place. If I end up practicing in a community hospital, I would be quite happy.

There's not as much trauma or opportunities to practice procedures, but the lifestyle is great and well suited to me.

Becky also got a job offer today, so that a financial relief for the family. It's just about the salary we were hoping for, but with much more time off than we expected. Again, I think the offer is very well suited to Becky and our family.

Now, I just have to solidify some good habits; working out 5-6 days a week and study most nights. With a sunburn from bodysurfing with the family at Naragansett, RI last weekend the former has taken a hit. And now, I'm boning up for a PALs course next week, so the latter has slowed down as well.

These are short term things so no big deal. The progress we've made here is great so far. I just hope that the kids get settled in with more local friends, Becky's job turns out as good as it looked during interviews and my last couple of weeks at John Dempsey Hospital go well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for the past year. I'm attending AzCom in the fall. Your blog is awesome.