Thursday, October 09, 2008

Anesthesia

I've been on adult anesthesia for over a week now. It has been a desperately needed recovery period from Internal Medicine. I've gotten some sleep, a couple of workouts in and seen my family a ton more.

Once I got familiar with Manchester Memorial Hospital and the OR staff, I've been able to go from OR to OR doing endotracheal intubations (tubes) and laryngeal mask airways (LMAs). The first few days I was learning lots of tips, but missing some tubes due to lack of confidence as much as anything. The last couple of days my confidence has gotten better and I've been getting the tubes placed much more quickly and gracefully.

It like I've learned my "feel" and my muscles have gained the memory and dexterity to do what I need of them.

Just as enjoyable, my days start at 7am and are typically over with by 2pm. I'm loving the time to get my head back on straight before I head back to Saint Francis next month for CCU. At the moment, I still have a couple days of adult anesthesia left, to build on my 20 intubations thusfar. Then it's off to CT Children's Hospital Center (CCMC) for two weeks of pediatric anesthesia.

No comments: