Thursday, July 28, 2005

July's Epiphany

Becky has been saying my family is on "Grady" time since we were dating 14 years ago. She frequently reminds me that a) I was 45 minutes late to our first date and b) my brother is the only person she knows that missed his own B-day party.

Her family on the other hand, used to go postal if they weren't 15 minutes early - literally! She would get evil looks from her family if we arrived only on-time, which of course got feed back to me for the rest of the evening. The other two in-laws and myself have relaxed them somewhat, but they are still extreme.

This week I finally put these different philosophies of scheduling life into perspective. Becky and her family come from the CEO viewpoint. If time is up, you end whatever you're doing, make a decision and leave. My family, and a good part of the population, come from a Surgeon's viewpoint. You don't leave a job until you're darn sure that it is done to your satisfaction.

I think many medical students fall into this latter category because so many of us are Obsessive Compulsive. I remember not being able to change out my suit until I had picked up a couple hundred pine cones in my yard (almost every day!) or not being able to swim until I had removed every pine needle from the pool in our backyard. For an anon username Dr. OCD would be appropriate, but guaranteed that one has been used many times over!

No comments: