Saturday, October 21, 2006

Finished Cardiology

Another rotation over and done with. It was a good one that I learned a lot from. As I've said before, the Docs at Cardiovascular Consultants are top notch.

The last week in the office was a lot more of the same except for one CABG I got to see at T-Bird. The patient was a 41 yo with CAD due to radiation therapy 10 years earlier for a large lymphoma. He had no other risk factors and no pertinent family history. I assumed that this would make the surgery and recovery easier for him. Only afterwards did I learn how wrong that idea is.

Opening the chest and harvesting the saphenous vein went well. The first graft even went pretty good with a not abnormally large drop in BP when the coronary artery was tied off before sewing in the graft. However, the second graft didn't go so smoothly. The surgeon kept talking with the anesthesiologist about BP, but as the second vessel was tied off the BP dropped over 30 seconds from about 110 systolic to under 30!! The surgeon started yelling and cussing, especially towards the anesthesiologist. As the nurses frantically rushed to set up the bypass machine and one prepped the defib paddles, the surgeon manually pumped the heart. The pumping kept the blood moving which finally enabled the anesthesiologist's meds (epi) to get back to the heart.

The BP finally returned and the surgeon apologized but asked me to move to the other end of the table so that the anesthesiologist wasn't distracted. The two docs explained that the problem wasn't really communication though. Younger CAD patients don't have time to build up collateral blood flow in the heart. So this BP drop is rare. The other interesting part of this surgery was that we found an additional (reminant) lymphoma on the left side of the chest above the heart. The surgeon wasn't able to remove because the phrenic nerve passed right through it. I don't think the patient wouldn't have appreciated a life with half his diaphragm paralyzed.

The rest of my time in the office was spent seeing spent, reading up on Cardio and watching a few stress tests with nuclear scans. The office staff was great and I got along great with the patients. But I missed not seeing any kids or healthy people.

Instead of continuing the previous week's great work-put regimen, I got very little sleep and couldn't stop thinking about residencies. I was up until 2am every night researching programs around the country, looking at other specialties and reading discussion threads on StudentDoctor.net. While the money in other specialties like Cardio is appealing, I'm even more convinced that Family Medicine is the right place for me. There's a few programs in the Northwest and Phoenix that look good, but the Midwest programs have the best pay and benefits. However, a few Colorado programs have a pretty unbeatable combination of teaching and lifestyle.

I have my list of program attributes and tons of book-marked sites. Becky is teasing to get going on my spreadsheets. And even bumped in Tucker this morning at the campus cafeteria and we ended up discussing our last rotations and residency searches for a couple hours. Seeing him and comparing notes was a great excuse to put off studying for my Cardio shelf test on Tuesday. If I had to choose today, I think Scottsdale Healthcare would be my first choice with a couple Colorado programs coming close behind. Becky and I are going to John C. Lincoln's residency program Open House this week, so that provide some additional insight on local programs and my decision process.

Lastly, I managed to return a few things last night and purchase a couple dress shirts and ties at Fashion Square (the only Nordstrom's in all of Phoenix!). It was more than I wanted to spend, but now I have several more interchangeable outfits for the clinics that look good with or without a tie.

No comments: