Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Interesting weekend...

Saturday I finally got in some decent study hours. I went back to campus and owned a familiar study table in the cafeteria (my old study lounge one was take!). I took a break to see the boys' soccer game and get some lunch, but it felt good to cover some testable Cardiology material.

On the way home I picked up some pizza for the family and while waiting for it get cooked I decided to peek at the latest in bikes at the nearby cycle store. Well, I found a full carbon bike for $995! And it was a pretty nice one with Ultegra and 105 components, good geometry and a perfect fit for me. Well, I had been planning a getting a really nice bike for graduation, but why lose 18 months of incredible Phoenix biking weather? It was the last of 40 or so bikes at this price among four stores and while I was looking at it we got a call that someone at another store wanted it.

I had them hold it and went to talk to Becky and talk it over. Well, we decided that a little more debt wasn't going to break the bank (thank goodness for home appreciation) and the bike would a long overdue 40th B-day present for me. I also planned to get Becky some diamond earrings for her B-day on the 11th. We also decided to look into refinancing the home to pay for some long overdue improvements (fence, A/C, carpets, garage storage). I stayed up way too late looking at bike reviews, comparisons and deals on the Internet (Ebay, Craigslist, etc.) to make sure it was a good deal, and except for the wheels, which I'll have to replace soon, it was a great deal.

Sunday we cleaned house and did some chores. I picked up my new carbon bike at 11am after a thorough test ride and then patiently went grocery shopping with Becky. As soon as I got home I rode around the block with boys and then went a nice 20 miler or so that felt terrific. I can't wait to ride with folks from school or other locals now. Sunday night I did some more diamond shopping for Becky, but not before hearing that Julie is quitting her nanny job.

Becky's sister Julie has helped watch the kids for about two years now. But she wants to start her own career in Seattle and the boys are just about old enough to watch themselves for an hour here or there. It was coming, but the timing is more than a bit strange. So while I was bidding on Ebay today Becky was lining up childcare and school transportation in case Julie leaves soon.

Today was fine in the cardiology office. Not as exciting as the hospital, but I'm sure there's a lot learn in outpatient to. I went for a swim this evening and have spent the couple hours trying to finally finish the Gamma Knife paper I've been working on forever. The guilt was nagging at me for not completing it, plus Becky's mom has decided to stay with us for two weeks so I lose my office tomorrow!

We knew her brothers were coming for Becky's 40th, but Marge was a surprise. We are both pretty sure it's more to support Julie than to experience Becky's 40th. As usual I had no say in the matter, but now have to figure out how to function for the next two weeks of chaos.

No comments: