Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Last Call at the VA

We just admitted our first patient of the evening. I already have two patients, so the other student is doing the H&P on him now. I'm just counting time by blogging a bit.

I think I finally have all my rotations for MSIII set up. I was up late last night doing paperwork, applications, etc. For January and February I will be in balmy Toledo, OH doing ER Peds and then Surgery with their respective residents. It will be two hard months, but I should learn a ton. Hopefully I can work my schedule such that I have at least two flights back home for a few days to see the family, depending on ticket prices.

In March I'm heading to Show Low, AZ for rural surgery. From everything I've heard, this should be an awesome rotation. Hopefully I can take my shelf test after this rotation so I have two months to learn the material and do lots of procedures firsthand. It's only 4 hours drive from home, so I can drive home every weekend.

April looks like an inpatient month at one of the John C. Lincoln hospitals. It's my elective, so I hope it's the hospital less than two miles from my house. If not, I might have to consider a preceptor rotation close to home. I'm going to need a break and time with the family after five hard rotations.

After that "easy" rotation, I will head back to Show Low, actually Snowflake, AZ, for a rural family rotation. Again, I've heard great things about it and been told I will fall in love with the place. By that time, Becky and the boys may want to come visit me for a mini-vacation. That's the last rotation of MSIII year, so I should be able to find some time to study for the third year final and my Step 2 set of Board tests.

Last night I even got around to filling out an application for an audition rotation to one of my first choice FP residency programs, Ft. Collins, CO. It might be a little early, but it shouldn't hurt to be eager and professional. I'm going to have to start calling my other top choices in UT and IN to try and line up rotations at them next Fall since neither offers online applications.

Well, time to go work-up some new admits to the VA...

No comments: