Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Passed the Medicine Shelf!

Whew, that one was tough. I studied hard Sunday and last night. I was too burned out to study anymore at lunch today, but I don't think the study break hurt my score at all. I did ok passing by a decent margin.

After talking with several of my classmates, I'm pretty happy. It's scary when two other good students get completely different answers to the same questions! Bottom line, that one is over.

OB/Gyn started off a little rough. I had a headache yesterday from getting up at 5am; just not used to starting that early with a long commute and "first day on the job" anxiety. Then there was some confusion with ID cards and where we were supposed to be. Once I got to the office for outpatient Gyn I saw a bunch of patients: echo'd some fetuses, saw a couple cervix and even felt one way off to the patient's right attached to some large fibroids!

I'm hopeful that it's going to be a good month. But it's going to be a lot of work! And somehow I have to survive the awful commute. Hopefully my Kaplan MP3 lectures will settle me down and generate some value from all the hours in the car.

On the residency front, I've been getting some feedback that Ft. Collins is more expensive and yuppie than I realized with less procedural training than I am expecting. Then Ft. Wayne is supposed to be less expensive and even better than I have been reading. It sounds like residents do very well moonlighting, houses are cheap and the training is top notch. I'm glad I will be able to see firsthand what Ft. Wayne is like in April. And I hope to hear back from Ft. Collins on a rotation there in the Fall.

No comments: