Thursday, March 15, 2007

Career schizophrenia

Today was another decent day medically. Assisted on bilateral inguinal hernia repairs in a one-year-old boy. Scoped a true Ulcerative Colitis.

Even heard a good joke related to specialties. Where do you hide a dollar bill from a:

Internist... taped to his patient
Surgeon... with his wife
Orthopod... in a book
Plastic Surgeon... no where, he'll find it anywhere

I'm still coming back from yesterday's disappointment's. Had a long conversation with one of my preceptors about specialties and the future of medicine. If you spend any time looking at the numbers you can get very pessimistic. I'm starting to feel a little jaded just as many Docs and professors predicted would happen during third and fourth year. My biggest angst at the moment is that I don't feel any specialty truly "fits" and I've got start making some plans for fourth year audition rotations quickly.

I hope it comes to me quickly...

No comments: