Thursday, October 21, 2004

Man this is going fast

Well I've settled into Med School a bit more. Last week I was pretty stressed about the 83% in Biochem. I scored so high in those first few tests that I set a high bar for myself. I still think I should be above the average regardless of the fact that I have a family and career wife. But I'm not as confident that I can keep up with these high IQ gunners.

In other words, I'm not gunning for the top 10%. I'm just going to do my best. And hopefully I won't get as stressed out about life, school and tests that way.

We got back scores today from Monday's Anatomy test. Normally I would be happy with 94.4% in both Histo/Embryo and Anatomy, but the class average was very high. I don't have the numbers yet, but I might be under the average(!), especially the average of just the med students (taking out the 30+ podiatry students that I assume have a lower average).

Oh well, at least I'm in A territory - and enjoying studying more this week.

I haven't been to Biochem all week. I've spent a lot of time in the student lounge trying to catch up on lectures from the last two weeks. Talking about not feeling overly smart, I'm taking two hours to go through each one hour lecture the first time! Others are saying similar things, but not enough to make me feel like I have any IQ points over my classmates. Anyway, I'm on lecture 12 of 16 for Monday's test. That leaves four more to go and two workshops. Best case they'll be done tomorrow night, worst Saturday before noon.

That gives me most of the weekend to memorize the enzymes, cofactors, products, pathways, regulators, etc., etc.

This definitely turning out to be tougher than I expected and I'm more convinced than ever that I want to go into something procedural. But I'm in the right place and won't be too disappointed even if I end up in primary care. Especially since Osteopathy gives the option of specializing in OMM if I continue working on developing those skills.

We had a Peds Doc speak to us at lunch on Tuesday. I got some good information on pay, practice lifestyles and such. Surgery is still very tempting regardless of my age. In fact, I ordered some out-of-date sutures and needle holders on Ebay this week. A couple of us are going to get a little practice over the break on the cadavers which should be very interesting.

No comments: