Friday, October 29, 2004

Week 9 Over!

Wow, the first quarter is almost over. Lots still left to do, but I can almost touch that two week break over Thanksgiving.

I got my Biochem grade back and it was better than I expected, several points over the class average. Anyway, I hope to do better going forward and feel like studying in the student conference room vs. home during the week is helping. I got 4-5 good hours in on Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday I stayed on campus and studied until 1am. Wednesday I had an OMM mock practical review and ICM review (bp, ears and throat) then again studied until 1am. Last night I stayed after for an immunization workshop (gave my first shot!) and then intended to study a bit at home after spending a little time with the family. I was out by 9pm and slept 10 hours! (I probably needed it.)

Anyway, tonight we had a Halloween function on campus, so I picked the kids up early and took them for some games and treats. It was fun, but now it's time to read to them and get started studying. Tomorrow I have traffic school from 7:30am until 3:30pm, then a wine tasting party with Becky, so I probably won't get anything done tomorrow. And Sunday will have to be preparation for the OMM written final on Monday.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but the ticket was for almost running over a police officer as he crossed a crosswalk! I was so pre-occupied with school, fighting kids and my grandfather's condition that I had tunnel vision. The officer was angry at first but cooled off and was giving me tips on traffic school. Anyway, I'm paying for the mistake with a long day tomorrow (hopefully I can study flashcards thru some of it) and Papa is doing better. His aortic aneurism bled out and only quick action by his wife, nearby paramedics and his cardiologist who happened to be on at the Hospital saved him. He's recovering slowing now, getting off the ventilator for a few minutes at a time. But at 84 and after being opened stem to stern, he's lucky to make it this far.

I guess he's pretty agitated and after attending an intubations workshop at lunch today I can understand. Looks like no fun and a lot of discomfort. I hope he is well enough to see him over the Xmas Holidays with my brother and maybe my boys. It may be their last time to see their Great-Grandfather.

No comments: