Saturday, February 19, 2005

Almost two weeks again?

I had imagined I would write here almost daily. Oh well, at least I'm fairly regular at it.

Today was the last day of Biochem, Gross Anatomy, Histology and Embryology lectures! Finals next week and those milestones are put to bed. But I should start from my last posting...

That miserable week and a half I wrote about previously took a long recovery period. Like most of my classmates I hardly studied at all the following week. I was plain burned out. Still am to some degree, but the sympathetics are pumping back in with finals rushing up. Let's just say that I wasn't alone in being WAY behind this week. I studied pretty darn hard and got fairly well caught up. Moreover, I finished OMM for the quarter.

Monday was the written which I did ok on (86%) but pretty poorly considering the amount of time I put in. The class sure got rebellious after it. About 2/3 of them didn't get legible to the last lecture since they were only the day before (Sunday) if you happened to wonder into the OMM lab. I think severla of them have filed a formal complaint to the Dean. Anyway, at least my efforts weren't in total vain. On Wednesday's practical I got 100% for a final grade of 92%. The practical had its own problems, we were taught mostly techniques this quarter (HVLA, muscle energy, counterstrain) and our review when 90% techniques, 10% diagnosis. However, the practical was 2 stations diagnosis and 1 techniques.

I sure feel like I overstudied and got ripped off on the written. Such is life at medical school though. Time to move on.

So this weekend is all about grinding it out for finals. I need to crash so that I can maintain a good 12 hours a day study schedule(!). I would have thought that insane a few months ago. Now that seems downright reasonable given the amount of material that I need to review for the first time since the lectures and solidify for Monday's Biochem test.

Btw, I managed to procrastinate most of last night by "perfecting" my Physiolgy case presentation on diabetics. Unfortunately I was so tired both last night and during hte presentation that I totally track of time (autopilot). I think I aced it but went ways overboard. The Diabetes research was interesting and hopefully will be relevant to my summer research. And that reminds me...

I have three more lectures to review in Biochem and they are on cancer. That is actually motivating me. I'm looking forward to mastering the material, much more so than all the ambiguous nutrition lectures Dr. Mann gave. I may just have a future in Radiation Oncology, if I can get into a residency.

Oncology is going to take a lot of work, but I'm hopeful that I have a shot even as a D.O. in a mostly MD field. My summer research should be applicable and would really be helpful if I can get published. Moreover, I'm not the VP of the newly formed Oncology club :-).

Night...

No comments: