Monday, February 07, 2005

Black January is over!

I survived. Barely. I have never seen my classmates so burned out as I did this weekend. I was ever bit as bad. Sunday I did the smartest I could have and called it quits at about 9:30pm, got home and immediately went to sleep until 5am. That gave me two very productive hours before the Physiology exam this morning.

I think I did well, but if I missed more than I expect, I felt reasonably well today. Getting a good score on last Thursday's anatomy test didn't hurt either though. I missed three problems on the written and one on the practical. With four (out of five) bonus points I got 126 out of 130 points possible. Biochem seems to be my worst subject. I managed to get 91% on it, but was hoping for more padding going into finals. Three big tests in a week (including our hardest anatomy unit yet) and I'm happy with the first two. Hopefully Physiology will come through tomorrow.

Now we have a week until our OMM written final, and then a week until finals. So I'm taking tonight off and catching up a bit. Tomorrow I have an "academic appointment" schedule with one of the OMM fellows. I hope that will help me get cranked up for finals; this time it's a diagnose and treat practical that I'm not feeling too confident on.

Anyway, this quarter has involved a lot of soul searching. Radiology is looking more and more like something I'm interested in. Anything with interventional in it sounds cool, but radiology has more gadgets, as least as good lifestyle and pay (vs. say cardiology or urology) and a more reasonable residency. I even took and online personality survey tonight and it ranked radiology and nuclear medicine as my top two of 40 or so specialties.

Of course it's the specialty that one of my top achieving classmates is interested in too. He has had a LOT more science than me, so it's a bit intimidating. He aced the anatomy test for example; 135 out of 130. I'm hoping that 1) we don't go after the same residencies or 2) my consistent grades plus this summer's research (and my awesome personality :-) put me ahead.

Speaking of summer R&D, I need to get up to speed on articles so I can submit a fellowship application this month and cement my Spring research elective in.

Oh, and I'm now the VP of the Oncology club. I lost an election for the SOMA delegate, but wasn't too heart-broken (it more a networking position than anything tangible). The VP thing can't look bad on my CV and may give me a chance to do some interesting things. We'll see.

Time to watch a movie and read an issue of Wired magazine that has been on my desk for over a week.

No comments: