Saturday, June 30, 2007

Feeling like John McClane

I thought Step 2 was supposed to be easier. After several hundred questions into my practice question test bank (USMLEWorld), I'm not feeling very confident. I was hoping to be hitting at least 60% and 10% higher than the average for students using the questions. But I'm at about 50% and a few percent lower than the average. It sure makes it harder to motivate yourself to study the long hours and takes more tests. I haven't seen any improvement in the last two weeks.

COMLEX is two weeks from Monday and I still have to review three books and answer 1500 more questions. Actually answering them is easy, it's going through the detailed explanations and trying to learn what you missed that takes forever.

Now I'm just hoping to get the same or better score than I did on Step 1. Adding 5 or 10 points would be great, but I'm playing defense at this point.

Went to see the new "Die Hard" movie with Colton tonight and had a good time. Watching John McClane get beat up on screen was a nice relief from getting mentally beat up - and very humbled. You certainly don't get through these exams with illusions about your own intelligence.

I don't have much mental of physical energy for housework or working out. I'm going to try and get in a 35 miler tomorrow. But I haven't gone swimming in a couple weeks. And the yard looks like crap.

On the good side, my rotations look solid and I'm happy with my choices. I completed of my residency application Personal Statement and my Emergency Medicine (EM) Dean/Advisor is reviewing it for me this week. The spreadsheet is looking pretty close to complete with 40+ programs worthy of applying to.

That's about it. Life feels a lot like last summer with another monumental set of Boards that rules your life for a time. Then I'll have four months to really focus on and learn EM back in the clinical environment while trying to impress Residents and Attendings. It will be playtime compared to Boards.

No comments: