Friday, July 13, 2007

Two days to Step 2

It's been a stressful two weeks since my last post. So much for Step 2 being this easy obstacle to rotations and the Match. The old saying of; "Two months, two weeks and a #2 pencil" for Steps 1, 2 and 3, respectively, doesn't feel very accurate right now.

The diet is long forgotten, and I'm maybe getting in two workouts per week. I study for eight to ten hours and then decompress or work on my ERAS application and Residency spreadsheet.

The thing that has really humbled me, or beaten me down to be more accurate, is the USMLEWorld question bank. I'm about 2/3 through it and feeling good if I can get percentiles in the high 50's or low 60's. According to online "calculators" this puts me at about 217, or well below my Step 1 score. So much for improving on my Step1 scores and looking even better for interviews.

At this point, I'm just hoping to equal my Step 1 scores so I don't have to make excuses for drops in my scores. Even though I'm not studying 16 hours a day, I think I'm studying in an organized way with good focus.

My plan is to spend the weekend focusing on OB/Gyn and Peds for COMLEX 2 on Monday. Then next week I'll finish any of Crush that I haven't gotten through a 2nd time and spend the majority of my time on practice questions.

As with Step 1, I'm just hoping to pass COMLEX but excel on USMLE. It's the test that counts for all but one residency that I'm considering.

This whole humbling experience is certainly making me second guess my decision to take Step 2 now instead of after the Match. Yes, I'm going to be happy to not have it hanging over my head during audition rotations, but it sure would be less stressful to take it when all I needed is a passing grade.

Not much else going on in my life or brain currently. I've been updating my spreadsheet a bit and nailing down transportation and lodging for my audition rotations. So far everything is looking pretty good expect that one place I have high hopes for doesn't take D.O.s according to EMRA's web site. I have a call in to verify that I'm not wasting a trip and a lot of money to go out there, because otherwise that would be a VERY expensive Letter Of Recommendation (LOR), assuming I get one.

Not a lot else going on. Took a break today to see the new Harry Potter movie with the family. Otherwise studied Crush. One upside to my "plan" for all this is that I have used Boards & Wards as my main review book and spend a lot of time fixing mistakes and adding pertinent additions to the margins. So for Step 3, during my first year of residency, I should be able to just study from this book.

I'm supposed to start my two week Dermatology rotation next week. I hope the Preceptor is very understanding and gives lots of time off. It looks like I'll have Friday before the USMLE off for sure. Then after the USMLE on the 23rd it will be time to jump into the ERAS applications web site and start preparing to wow the EM program directors.

No comments: