Monday, July 23, 2007

USMLE Step 2 - Done!

Wow, that was hard. It is hard to describe, but the main stressor was the time pressure. I rarely felt like I had time to think through problems. And when I did, I paid for it by being rushed at the end. My third block of 46 questions, right after I took lunch, I had to literally guess on the last 2-3 questions because I didn't even have time to really read the questions. From then on I stayed more focused on getting through the questions, but I still had to go with gut feels a lot!

In talking with a classmate, he had the same experience so I can only hope that the time pressure will even out the grades for all but the fastest readers. It sure was drudgery though, the whole time I had to stay 100% focused to speed through vast amounts of information in the question stubs. The environment wasn't helpful either. I used the same Prometric site as I did for COMLEX but this time there was loud people, cold rooms and interruptions from staff to slow me down and distract me.

The questions were different than I expected as well. There were a fair number of easy ones that I could nail quickly, but the detailed ones were intense. Instead of 4-8 options that are related and picking based on fine details, this was vast amounts of information to filter through in order to pick one of several unrelated options. For example, instead of picking one connective tissue disease based on asthma symptoms, you had a life story presented and had to decide if cancer, connective tissue or chronic kidney failure was the underlying condition. Yuck!

I just hope that I did as well as Step 1. I certainly won't be adding my USMLE scores to me ERAS application until I see my scores. That's the one advantage of being a D.O. I have to submit COMLEX scores, but they aren't top notch or my USMLE scores are good I can submit those as well.

Now it's time to get all the paperwork and logistics done for my rotations. I received my ER shift schedule from Arrowhead tonight and it looks ok. It will interesting to see how four 7pm - 7am shifts messes with my circadian rhythm. Lots more to do before that starts around the house. I still have to send out Thank You notes to my LOR authors, then there's a ton to be done on my ERAS application. Tonight I need to relax a bit though.

One observation worth closing with is that for Step 2 I don't feel so emotionally drained. Last summer, after Step 1, I was burned out for weeks. This time around, I'm still looking forward to studying for my upcoming EM rotations. I can't wait to start learning what I expect will be my future profession - really learning what I'll be doing after residency!

No comments: