Friday, September 21, 2007

MUSC Rotation Ends

Finished my last shift at 8am this morning. Slept for a few hours and now am relaxing contemplating whether to catch a movie or now. Flight to UMass takes off tomorrow afternoon, so I don't have to pack quite yet.

The rotation ended well. I managed to meet up with Dr. Kini and get my SLOR completed by him, signed and deposited at the MUSC offices. I also met with one of the assistant program directors for coffee and had a nice conversation. Probably the best was the compliments I received from the Attendings and Residents over the last day or two. You know you're doing ok when the residents say that they keep forgetting you're only a student and not one of them. And when a first year EM resident hugs you goodbye, I think it's a good indication you have their confidence and trust.

The last two shifts were 12-hour night shifts in Peds. Nothing too wild, but I did get to see some interesting cases. A depressed young girl with ALL and a rash that turned about to be a bad case of mucositis from her chemo. At least it wasn't a fungal infection like we initially believed. Another girl had a simple UTI, but the parents were petrified about rhabdomyolysis since one of siblings died from it and all the children have a muscle enzyme deficiency making them susceptible to malignant hyperthermia and rhabdo.

I would be extremely surprised if I don't get invited back for an interview, D.O. package notwithstanding. Now it's time to get mentally prepared for UMass and a month of adult EM.

Two more weeks until I get to see Becky and the kids in Seattle!

No comments: