Tuesday, October 16, 2007

UConn visit

The drive to University of Connecticut was beautiful. The trees are all changing to Fall colors and there were numerous ponds and creeks along the way with forests of Fall trees lining the banks. Plus it was a sunny brisk day.

I found the parking lot and department offices in plenty of time to get lunch and be assured that my business casual (Prna pants, Quicksilver button down and Keen loafers) attire was fine. The two hours of lecture from noon until two PM was fun. The material was fine, but I really appreciated the camaraderie the residents displayed. Their was joking and teasing and plenty of talk about after work get togethers. They had DO residents and one older than me!

We then proceeded to their very cool sim lab with dummies and set-ups for ICU, Trauma and more. We donned hazardous environment suits and entered two sim labs for training in running codes for patients with highly contagious or poisonous exposures. It was challenging and a blast. I actually felt part of the team and was able to contribute a bit. The PGY-2 residents certainly knew more than me, but I never felt patronized or looked down upon.

Finally I headed to the Emergency Department to work with one of the PGY-3 residents for a few hours. We had a trauma and several really sick patients. But I was able to get feel for the ED and ask a bunch of questions. Even though they have paper charts (with efficient electronic ordering software) and the ED is a bit dark, I liked the place and the people I met.

I certainly hope I get an interview at UConn.

No comments: