Monday, October 15, 2007

What's so great about New England?

Today I really had to question what's is so great about New England. It's overpriced, overtaxed, overly Liberal and filled with gruff, even mean, people. Ok, I was a bit unlucky today, but maybe it's another sign.

I was running late to my 11am shift because I slept in late. Had to catch up on sleep after a very busy week of shifts that never stayed at the same times (morning, afternoon, overnight, afternoon and then morning again). I also had a down comforter so I was comfy warm for the first time.

As I walked out to the car at 10:40a, here's what I saw:Granted, it wasn't the sweetest ride to begin with, but WTF!?! How did my car get singled out when there were tons of other cars on the curb? How come I didn't hear anything (my window was only 20 feet away)?

Today just got worse and worse. After taking the pictures and talking to the police, I limp to the hospital. Luckily it was very close since the steering had play now measuring in feet! The mangled front hubcap was rubbing into the tire and brakes.

So I arrive late and can't find parking anywhere. I finally park in the spot the furthest away from the stairs thinking it's a safe spot. Par for the course, I found a parking ticket on my windshield when I returned later that night. However, on my way into Fast Track, 20 minutes late for my shift, VISA tells me that the car isn't covered by my credit card because the rental is over 15 days!!! Since I rented for one continuous month, they probably won't cover it. (I haven't decided whether to cancel it or just change next month's rental into two consecutive 14 day rentals.)

Becky talked to Geico and they inform us that they'll cover it after the $500 deductible. So I file the third stinking claim for the morning and proceed to work a slow, uninteresting shift. At the Attending was cool. He was a hospitalist moonlighting in the ER. Nice guy that was fun to talk to considering that he owns multiples of just about every toy I've ever dreamed of owning. Plus he travels at least once a month. Helps that his wife is a physician as well and they have no kids. I wouldn't trade the kids for anything, but puts it all in perspective.

Enterprise was across the street from the hospital so I headed over there. They upgraded my vehicle and were very nice about taking my credit card for $500. I can't complain about their service at all.

I can only hope that my trip to UConn in Hartford tomorrow is better. It's a bigger, nicer car (if you can call a Chevy Cobalt nicer). I'll get out of the big city. Maybe the sour taste for all of New England will melt away with the drive through the forests of fall trees.

No comments: