Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Year's Eve - it's 2008!

I had many possible choices for my New Year's resolution, including getting into shape, graduating from medical school, getting one of my top residency selections and staying healthy (this cold is still holding me back). I'm going attempt all of them for an ambitious 2008.

Tucker and his family came over for the evening. The kids get along great and seemed to have a great comparing Rock Band for the Xbox and Guitar Hero III for the Wii. The former has drums and a microphone, but the latter has much better songs.

It was a pretty laid-back evening with some wine, a baked potato bar and a lot of socializing. Tucker and I agreed that our motivation for medical school is pretty low right now. Fourth year you just want to get your residency slot, not get as many patients as possible on rotation or work your tail off to impress attendings. Makes me wonder what I was thinking when I scheduled three tough rotations for end of fourth year: Trauma Surgery; Internal Medicine Sub-I; and Critical Care. At least I have May off for our long-awaited family vacation.

We celebrated New Year's on New York time so Tucker and his family could get home at a reasonable to avoid the drunks and have the kids in bed before midnight. The boys and I stayed up until New Year's local time and watched the apple, but it was kinda anti-climatic.

Here we are on January 1st, 2008 and we're just lounging around. Becky went for a run, I'm filling up Kleenex boxes with used tissue and the boys are playing Xbox.

My most important goal for today is get my Thank You cards out for the New England interviews I had two weeks ago. The holidays, being sick and the PE exam slowed me down, but the cards are my desk and the task has been in the back of my mind for days and days. Time to stop procrastinating. I finally got caught up on this blog, so that's a good start.

No comments: