Sunday, March 16, 2008

Match Week!

Work at St. Luke's has been going ok. Reasonable schedule, occasionally an interesting patient and free food. But my sleep, studying and working out has started to suffer. Becky noticed before I did that I was going into my usual 'stress survival' mode. I didn't even realize how much stress I was feeling.

I just don't do well when everything is out of my control. It's just a waiting game now. Tomorrow (Monday), by noon, I should hear that I've Matched at one of the 11 programs on my ROL. If not, Tuesday at noon, the Scramble starts for 48 hours of hell. I would be clinically depressed at that point.

Assuming all goes ok and I hear I Matched somewhere tomorrow, it's three more long days of waiting. Thursday by noon, I hear where we are actually going. I'm scheduled to work on Thursday, but will try to get off early. I already got permission to take Friday off.

I can't predict how I'll be feeling on Friday, but I'm pretty sure working won't be high on the list. Our class has a party planned for Friday night. But I may not wait until Friday to start celebrating.

Residency Match is an exciting time, but nothing is as much fun when the outcome is totally out of your control.

No comments: