Tuesday, March 04, 2008

ROL list

My Rank Order List is submitted. The one thing I changed in the days preceding the Feb. 27th deadline was to put Maricopa higher in the list. While I have some concerns about the hospital it sounds like they have addressed all but 6 of the original 30 or so problems JHACO identified. Even more importantly, the RRC (residency review committee) for the EM program gave Maricopa it's highest approval rating.

Maricopa would have some additional benefits that weighed on me over the last few weeks. The weather here in Phoenix is just perfect this time of year. We can do anything outdoors now; bike, run, hike, etc. Selling the house is going to be as stressful as the Match given the awful housing and financing market. Lots of nightmare stories getting thrown around. So we could keep stay in the house and commute until the right buyer or renter came along. Finally, Becky would have more flexibility of when to leave St. Mary's Foodbank.

The final ROL came out as:

1) Hopkins: tough call with #2, but the name, prestige and integrated fellowship may really help my career later on. Also, between Baltimore and DC, Becky has lots of options.
2) Christiana: I would be thrilled to go here with no reservations whatsoever. It just doesn't have the name, especially on the West Coast, that Hopkins. The program though is equal or better IMHO.
3) UConn: the people are terrific and the program is top notch. Again, I wouldn't have any problem ending up in Hartford, CT.
4) Maricopa: old facility, some problems with the hospital and questions about a few of the residents, but #4 for the reasons mentioned above.
5) UMass: incredible facility and lots of great residents, I just didn't like that so many of the Attendings seemed focused on moving patients with little interest in teaching residents.
6) Case/Metrohealth: the tie-in with Cleveland Clinic makes this a top notch program. The area is my biggest concern.
7) St. Vincent's: like Case, great program in the wrong location but even more so. I really like people and the program (great incorporation of moonlighting into training), but the area's economy follows Detroit and there's little to love about Toledo.
8) Cooper: I would much rather end up here than scramble for a spot, Camden is a rough town.
9) Baystate/Tufts: great recreational area, but the place is in shambles and no seems to care.
10) Morris: tiny program that felt like a tight knit family.
11) Drexel: Phili would be doable, but I would be disappointed if I matched this far down my list.

No comments: