Thursday, August 12, 2004

End of summer

We met the kids teacher's last night and the boys are getting excited to meet new friends. Uniforms are going to be a change, but the teacher's are happy and excited and the school looks great.

I need to finish up painting the inside of the house this weekend if possible. There's so many tasks to get done before I start medical school. Little stuff like license plates, sprinkler repairs, PC repairs, window tinting, etc., etc. At least I have a few days that they will be in school so I can focus on getting them done.

Last Sunday I drove back to Dan's mansion in Palm Springs for a tour on Monday of the Eisenhower Center. It was very impressive. I had a sobering conversation with a plastic surgeon about the profession and he gave me a DO to call in Ohio. I hope that pans out. We also saw some operations (I saw a knee replacement and hernia repair) and got the benefactor tour of the whole Center.

Also last weekend, I went to a B-day party for one of my friends from AZCOM. It was fun for the kids and Becky and I. It was interesting to get perspective from four MSII's and a few upperclassmen. Finally I met one of my classmates. The whole weekend gave me a lot of incentive to start calling DOs for preceptorships and electives for next summer. I still think AZCOM is going to be great, but I need to have some strategy going into MSIII or I'm going to have trouble in the residency match.

Oh, I've also conversed with many other AZCOM med students via SDN. It will be good to put faces with these names soon. My AZCOM Big Sis (15 years my junior :-) is coming over tomorrow for dinner with us. It will be nice to meet her face-to-face for the first time.

Well, time to get painting... I'll leave with a couple PG-13 photos from my NW Medical Teams mission to Vietnam in February of 2003.

No comments: