Friday, March 04, 2005

Aced my last couple tests!

Got my grades back. My Biochem was only 90% as that 85% on the last test hurt. My Physiology got knocked down to 92% from 95%, but the piss-poor 75% on the last test normally would have hurt a lot more. Ok results, but I am disappointed in those two tests. I reviewed my Biochem test today on campus; no big surprises. A couple dumb mistakes, several "studied the wrong material" questions and two that were very poorly worded. One a true/false, only 25% got it right! Now you know something is wrong there, but they won't change it. That department certainly deserved the negative reviews I gave them. I will be checking on the Physiology score next week when the Prof for the Dept is back in town. Something is wrong when I drop 20% on one test.

Better news on Histo and Gross though! I just about aced Histo to pull out a 92% even though I had an 85% going in from the one previous test. Gross I pulled out a 94% overall and about that on the final. I'm very pleased. My cumulative GPA went up .5. I'll never make the top 10 in the class, but I should be well above the mean. And hopefully, board scores will helped by my efforts now.

Finally, had a good meeting on campus today with my summer research sponsor, Dr. 'Buck' Jones and a representative of the Amer Diabetes Assoc. Sounds like we have a great shot at an Innovation Research Grant. Even better, he said that he hasn't heard of anyone doing similar research so we might in fact be onto something orginal enough to be publishable! As part of my Spring elective, I have to get started on writing my application for a school Fellowship and I have a tour of the research lab (including safety lecture) scheduled with Dr. Jones for Monday afternoon. I'm really looking forward to getting started on this. This will really help my CV and provide my the opportunity to master cell culturing, Western Blots and fluoroscopy. Having a paper published would be icing on the cake!

Now it's time to enjoy one of my last evenings playing Xbox for another quarter. I figure I earned it after finally getting off my butt and exercising. I road my Kestrel (first time in AZ) for about 25 miles and then hiked Thunderbird Park with the boys and Cedar for an unexpectedly long 1.5-2 hours. Oh, and last but not least,last night I organized all my binders, files and books for the new quarter.

I have definitely recovered from finals week and am eager to finish up MS-1 ;-).

No comments: