Sunday, July 16, 2006

Boards

USMLE Step 1
Surprisingly my stress level for the actual USMLE Step 1 on June 12th was pretty low. At that point, I knew I had done the best I could to prepare over the month since classes ended. Sure I could have put in a few more hours or studied more effectively if I had to do it again. But I really lost my motivation. Burnout had overcome my demoralizing schedule.

The test was not what I expected. In fact, along with many classmates, I'm shocked that this is the primary tool used to rank future physicians. It felt like the test was for a PhD in Biochem. The actual medical knowledge tested was incredibly minor. Out of 350 questions (7 blocks of 50 questions) I had less than 25 Pharm questions, a similar number of Micro questions and 25% or so Path questions (vs. the predicted 40%).

My recollection may be biased towards the more difficult questions, but I got tired of the questions that basically included the following stub; "A researcher testing a new drug uses three knockout mice lines to test its efficacy..." Then you had to interpret test results that had nothing to do with knowledge learned in medical school. Luckily I had exercised the day before so I got plenty of rest and a good night's sleep. I can only hope that the test goes like the MCAT where I end up doing better than expected. <Please!>

Afterwards I vegged out on Studentdoctor.net. The match results for RadOnc were very depressing based on the 40+ folks who listed how they matched. I definitely need a good fallback even if I got a decent score.

COMLEX Step 1
I had two days to study for COMLEX after USMLE. However, my motivation was pretty low. I got nowhere near the 12 to 16 hours of studying in I had hoped. I got maybe 10 hours each day consisting of 6 hours of repetitive COMLEX practice questions on Kaplan's Qbank and 4 hours of Pharm and Micro review (which rumor had it were heavily emphasized).

I'm glad I hit those areas, but in the state I was in I don't think that I retained much information. I also didn't prepare as well. I was too burned out to exercise, so I slept horribly the night before. The test started an hour and a half earlier so I didn't get in my two hour "last minute" cram session of buzzwords and formulas. I started with the feeling that I just wanted to get it over.

The test itself was 400 questions in eight hours. I had heard the questions were MUCH more straight forward than USMLE so I expected to finish earlier even with the extra 50 questions. I did have less time pressure than on the USMLE (I actually had time review check-marked questions) but it wasn't as easy as many students reported. I hope that I just had harder questions instead of my being frazzled and/or less prepared. I figure about 50% of the questions were easy whereas friends who took the test earlier put the number closer to 75%. I could very well have scored higher on USMLE than on COMLEX. I'm ok with this as long a) I pass both and b) the USMLE score is over the 85% so the door isn't closed on some specialties.

Scores come out this week. I'm numb and emotionless about it. I know this could be a great week, or a very depressing one. Either way, I can't express how glad I am that those two years are over. I think I'm still in recovery from the stress. It's very de-humanizing and no one gets into medicine to put through it.

No comments: