Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Rotation Evals

Monday was pretty straightforward. I got to sit in on couple interesting therapy sessions that gave me some insight into family therapy. I don't feel like I've had much exposure to behavioral or cognitive therapy, but I now understand it better. The day ended early so I got to enjoy a little extra time playing with the boys.

Today was my last day with my official preceptor, Dr. Karakus. We saw some interesting patients, including the most interesting Borderline one I've seen to date. He was hearing "helpful", repeatedly trying to kill himself (but somehow surviving each time) and involved in intense relationships. The Doc and I also had some time to talk about our personal lives, the profession and my decision making process as far as residency goes.

She basically recommended the rural Doc route with some procedures to supplement my income. She doesn't have children, but her thought was that moving during the boys' high school educations wouldn't be too bad. In separate conversations later in the evening my father, brother and mother-in-law all agreed. I just don't know. Going 100% for RadOnc (my fav still) or IM with a fellowship in HemeOnc are still attractive. I sure hope a more solid direction develops over the next few months.

Dr. Karakus gave me top marks on the evaluation of course. I hope we can stay in contact.

Becky, Julie and the boys headed to Heron Island near Gig Harbor to hook up with Paul, Susie and their kids. I hope to meet up with them tomorrow night and Thursday night after work. It's only about an hour from Lakewood including the 7-minute ferry boat ride to the 1.5 mile wide island. Sounds like the place is beautiful and the kids are beachcombing through multiple sets of soaked clothes.

I also learned that my brother and sister got married over the weekend; Dan to his long-term on-again off-again fiance Hiroko and Joanne to "committed" partner and father of three of her four children.

Oh, I tried to do some lap swimming at the YMCA during a break but barely managed 1k yards. I could only kick or breast stroke without pain so bad I caught my breath. I'm pretty convinced that I'm experiencing my first cracked ribs, since bruising or inflammation would have lessened by now. Plus I know my swimming anatomy/biomechanics pretty well. I can't envision anything else producing sharp, focal pain on the costochondral margins of ribs 7, 8 and possibly 9. I still hurt with deep inspiration, valsalva maneuvers, blowing my nose or using my rectus abdominus muscles.

No comments: