Wednesday, July 19, 2006

USMLE Score

Last night Becky read my score to me over the phone. It's a decent score, but not quite as high as I hoped. It's high enough to get me into all but most competitive specialties and programs. It's also right about where I thought I'd end up, and interestingly about the same percentile as my GPA.

Given family responsibilities, a lack of recent science coursework and the number of really smart med students out there, I'm pretty happy to be at about the 80% mark. Not surprising, I was strongest on the conceptual stuff like Phys and weakest on the molecular, biochem, micro and immuo sections. The former two aren't taught as in depth at Osteopathic schools and the latter two were just taught horribly at our school. I studied the most in these areas knowing they were weak and memorization of obscure pathways isn't strong suit. But I always seem to do best (even with the least amount of studying) on the conceptual stuff. Once I have the map, table or shape/pattern in my brain, I can manipulate it as well as just about anybody.

Now it's the wait for my COMLEX score. It is no where near as important in my mind, but I need to pass it for my degree and it will be interesting how well the scores correlate.

No comments: