Thursday, August 03, 2006

Day four and Family looks pretty good

It's weird, but I'm really starting to enjoy the pace of Family Practice. Maybe it's the way Dr. Will runs his practice, but it doesn't feel like the treadmill I've seen from preceptors in the past. There's little rushing around, and the OMM days are a great break from medicine; you get to work with your hands on patients over 30 minutes so it's very relaxing. And frequently it's very rewarding. I've seen patients come back with long-lasting improvement after no benefit from chiropractors, orthopods or pain management folks.

We are even getting MD residents from Mayo and Good Sam that will be training at the clinic for 6 months. The result with be more acceptance of manual medicine in the Allopathic world and more rotations for us at those institutions.

Today I also had a chance to treat one of our science professors. It was a little weird and really reminded me to pay attention to patient privacy.

Finally, I'm starting to feel more like a doc all the time. I'm going in and working up patients myself, charting them and then writing up the scripts. I'm learning a lot but more importantly, I'm getting comfortable with the role as the Doc.