Thursday, August 31, 2006

Urgent Care

So far my first week in Urgent Care is going pretty well. I would have liked more procedures, but I did get to remove some stitches and help remove a FB (foreign body) from a guy's eye.

The docs that work there are more laid back than I expected. They really like their freetime and typically only work about 32 hours a week, with no call, swing shift or the stress of the ER.

They are also pretty knowledgeable about medicine. I'm getting MUCH better at my charting and learning a fair amount along the way. Once I get done reading Problem-based Microbiology (a great book!) I need to focus more on the medicine: start reading Step-up to Medicine and watching the Kaplan Step 2 videos again. However, all of this is slightly delayed now that the boys and I just purchased a used Xbox 360. The newness of it will wear off on me, but I need to give a few days.

Until then, I'm going to be working through a nasty viral URI and seeing tons of patients in a great setting for learning.