Sunday, September 17, 2006

OBEX and Urgent Care

Spent my 15th wedding anniversary Friday taking a 4-hour neonatal resuscitation class from 8 until noon at school. Then said hello to a bunch of my MSII friends, checked out Cardio books in the bookstore and headed to Cigna Urgent Care. I expected a wild evening with my Preceptor and hoped for a bunch of procedures. But it was slow night and I ended up getting home at 10pm instead of midnight. This was still long past Becky's 9pm bedtime.

Saturday Tucker and I car-pooled over to OBEX, the Osteopathic disciplinary board hearings. We are all required to spend a day there, and there was at least 25 of us from AZCOM. It was very interesting and I completely agree that every medical student should be required to attend. We saw malpractice, substance abuse and licensing issues mostly. But it was great to see how the process worked and where Docs fail in documentation, staff management, judgment, etc.

My MSII summer Preceptor, Dr. Steinway, was even the President presiding over the board. We ended a bit early at 1pm so he gave us a chance to ask a bunch of questions directly to the board. Overall, it was a very informative 5 hours.

My rotation is going pretty well. I haven't written in couple weeks because not too much has changed. My charting is getting much better according to the attendings, but that should be expected since I'm seeing 20+ patients a day. I haven't seen a lot of ER crisis stuff. But I'm getting good at the basics: URIs, UTIs, sprains & strains, abdominal pain, chronic pain, etc.

UC isn't something I would want to do as a career, but I do think I'm getting the experience I had hoped for, as well as skills that will pay off in upcoming rotations.

It's down to my last week. And I'm at the point where I'm comfortable getting the history and doing the physical. I miss a test or two (e.g. Homan's Sign, Rovsing's sign) but I'm not quite ready to make diagnoses and write orders/prescriptions yet. I generally have some ideas, but there's always something to factor in: pregnancy, DM, warfarin usage, etc.

Finally, I'm really interested in learning more about the Scottsdale Healthcare FP residency program. It's unapposed and highly regarded in the area. The kids could stay in schools with their friends and Becky could stay at her position with St.Mary's. So I have to do some networking to learn more about it. I've tried unsuccessfully to reach one of our Fellows there, but I hope I can meet some residents at an AzAFP Journal Club. I met a bunch of local IM residents at their ACP Journal Club and was told its pretty similar with the AzAFP, but we'll see.

Oops, I have to mention that I'm not doing near enough studying. The boys and I went in together and got an Xbox 360, so I'm way behind on the objectives for Family and now it's time to bone up on Cardiology! Luckily Pass/Fail is very low stress compared to MSI & MSII :-).