Wednesday, September 27, 2006

First days in the hospital

Cardiology started by me getting assigned the first two weeks of this rotation in the hospital (inpatient) and the last two weeks at group's office across the street (outpatient). So the last three days have been my first experience seeing patients in the hospital setting.

It's been interesting and not nearly as intimidating as I expected. The H&P's are long and tedious, but I'm not as rushed as I probably will be next month on the Internal Medicine rotation. The first day I followed the group's Nurse Practitioner, two cardiologists and two intervention cardiologists around. I saw several patients, a couple catheterization/stent procedures and then a bunch of echocardiogram reviews at 6pm.

Yesterday was mostly didactics on campus, but I made it back to the hospital for some more stents and a nice meeting with one of the interventionists on establishing a gameplan for the rotation.

Today I started at 7am by seeing four patients myself and working (struggling) my way through Cardio Service progress notes that went into the patients' charts. Right after lunch I worked up a new patient and wrote a full H&P. That took about 2 hours. Finally, I rounded on about 15 patients including the ones I wrote up with my primary preceptor. He read my notes and seemed to like them! He also seemed to like my presentation of my H&P patient which was pretty complicated.

The hospital isn't as addicting as I imagined, nor is the cath lab. But I'm still having fun working as a team member, learning cardiology and integrating in the hospital environment. It will be great preparation for next month's rotation. I just hope I get some time to read and listen to lectures.

No comments: