Friday, September 22, 2006

Third Rotation Down

Finished Urgent Care today without much fanfare. I suppose I got what I wanted out of this rotation, lots of basic Family Medicine, charting, SOAP notes and patient exposure. But I am a bit disappointed by the lack of procedures. I wonder if IM will be much more interesting in that aspect.

So just finished my Preceptor eval, my logs (ugh!) and now my Blog. And it made me think that if I had to do it over again, I might choose a more rural rotation where I was free to do more even if the volume of URIs, UTIs and rashes was less.

Dr. Weiler was decent preceptor. In my eval he gave high marks for patient communication (heck, I got a bunch of compliments) but "meets expectations" for most of the medicine categories. He said that "Exceeds" is a student who presents a case in a very organized fashion, lists the differential, the desired tests and the meds with dosages. In other words, an MSIV or something with prior clinical training. I realize that I need to spend a lot more time on my FP objectives and reading, but he and I agreed that I couldn't meet those expectations with essentially two weeks of clinical exposure under my belt (Psych and OMM not really relevant).

He also said my Cardiology preceptors, who are just on other side of Banner Thunderbird Hospital, are very good. So I'm looking forward to that. I managed to get some reading in this week on the subject and listened to a CD on heart/lung sounds.

On the personal front, we had some good ClinEd lectures on Tuesday. Tucker and I then had lunch and talked in theoretical terms about starting a practice together in White Salmon. Who knows where that will go, but it's fun to visualize running a rural partnership.

Outside of that, I'm not swimming or exercising enough and playing too much Oblivion. I'm in the process of signing up for some tutoring which will be a little spending dough and a good impetus to get me out of the house and studying/reviewing something.

Onto my fourth rotation...