Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Starting OMM

Day 1
Monday my Preceptor spends at the campus clinic doing OMM. So I got to shake off the rust and do some muscle energy, counterstrain and myofascial release techniques. I even hit a couple HVLAs on the first try! It was fun and Dr. Will seemed very willing to let me talk to patients alone, chart stuff, do OMM, etc. It looks like I'll be doing injections soon for nerve blocks.

The only downside to the day was auto repairs. New minivan tires and our new 'pre-owned' Sante Fe had blown a timing belt. I even enjoyed having a homework assignment to read up on Fibromyalgia, which is about 20% of Dr. Will's OMM patients. I had absolutely zero stress about the next day's Psychiatry shelf exam which was a nice change. Gotta love Pass-Fail.

Day 2
Tuesday I had large and small group didactic group lectures in the morning. It was really nice to see many of my classmates again and catch-up on everyone's first rotation. I was also surprised by some USMLE scores. A few people scored really high like Tucker, but many scored below my expectations. At lunch I finally did a little studying for the Psych test, but I relied on my drug charts and FirstAid for Psychiatry totally. I just don't like our Prof's notes at all. I think I did very well on the test. It was even easier than already low expectations.

After biting the bullet on the car and agreeing to $1300 for the timing belt and related damage, I headed to the clinic. On Tuesdays, Dr. Will works on the family practice side of the clinic. I made it in time to see a few patients myself and practice some physical exam skills (shaking off more rust). I hope I can do whole physicals and blood draws soon, but I got a taste of it. Tonight's homework was Metabolic Syndrome and I was pleasantly surprised to find the best info on it in my PDA version of Ferri's Guide, not Harrison's, Robbin's or Netter's.