Saturday, November 13, 2004

First Quarter done!!

I meant to write earlier but I've been in recovery mode since noon yesterday. I didn't do as well as I hoped on Biochem but the 88% was enough to squeak a 90% out of the class; 90.17% based on my calcs. (Amazingly they had our results back in about two hours. No wonder there wasn't any multiple choice!)

Anatomy and Histo/Embryo were similar. I had 88-89% on the finals and barely managed to stay in "A" territory, 92 and 90.8% respectively. OMM was pretty easy and I got a 95% even though I blew a rotation dx on L5. My partner got inominates and the Prof gave me L5 :(. I can hardly move L5 and probably should have just guessed a normal Type II dysfunction but NO, I had to go with what I felt :).

So that leaves Friday. After Biochem I studied a straight 12-13 hours with three classmates (gunners wouldn't be an inaccurate description). We seemed to clicking pretty well on Biochem, and this session seemed to confirm that we work well together. I just hope they help me pull my scores up a bit :). Most of the time was spent on ICM with about two hours on Human Behavior. Then I got up early and studied two more hours on the 8am Human Behavior final. Those 25 questions took me all of 15 minutes! It was such a joke that I didn't even review my answers. I found out later that 5 of the 25 questions had been thrown out. It's only 1 credit and I just don't care.

From 8:15 until 10am I studied ICM. I really feel like I got the information from lectures down pretty well. Some questions seemed out of the blue, but they were probably from the reading we were supposed to do. I think I did ok on it. It was the first test where we got to keep the questions so after reviewing them with fellow students I'm sure I got two wrong, which means I probably got 4-5 wrong total out of 40 questions. I passed.

Afterwards I hooked with a few of my old study partners at a bar in Scottsdale. We had a fun time as I unwinded with delicious Dos Gringos tacos and three marguaritas. They are a really nice group of people but just study at the level I like to. Unfortunately two of them will be decelerating, which I understand to mean retaking a few classes next year and doing Med school in 5 years. One guy is a really neat person with a great attitude that had to work through school to maintain healthcare coverage for his family. They have several serious and chronic problems so it's sad and amazing that he manages to keep his positive attitude. I really hope he finds a way to get out of work so he focus on his studies.

I got home in time to pick up the boys from school, take a quick nap, clean the house with the family and then greet my Mom as she arrived from Seattle. I also had the pleasure of reading the latest issue of Wired magazine. It's my favorite (SciAm is a distant 2nd) and it's been sitting on my desk for about two weeks.

Today I took two naps and walked/ran the dog for about 4 miles. It felt great. Man do I need to find a way to fit exercise into my schedule. If nothing else, it really helps me reduce the stress. I then went grocery shopping so we could host dinner for my mom, brother and his "girlfriend". Mom loved her and agrees he's crazy to hold out. She an adorable Japanese girl that he lived with in Japan for a year. It's obvious she came here for him and they still have feelings for eachother. He's driving her home at this moment, hopefully asking her to caravan with us to my dad's house for Thanksgiving. Then she'll have met the whole family - and I can get really be relentless about going ring shopping with him!

No comments: