Thursday, November 04, 2004

Goodbye First Quarter...

Tomorrow is the last day of my first quarter of medical school. Well, I still have finals next week, but instruction and week 10 are just about over. Wow!

It has gone so fast. And I've learned so much. And the next week of finals I had better learn a bunch more :). As part of a group of 10 MSIs MSIIs I went to AZ State U. (ASU) last night. We were representing AZCOM to the pre-med chapter of AMSA. Unfortunately there were only about 209 of them but they sure were jazzed about Osteopathy and AZCOM by the time we left. They want to meet again on the AZCOM campus and see the school and I expect word will get around and we'll have a lot bigger crowd.

Before we started a transplant surgeon from the local Mayo hospital talked and it was incredible. He was supportive of DOs which was cool, but his presentation on live donor liver transplants was awe inspiring. Their rejection rate is 3% (vs. 17% for cadaveric), 0% of donors have died and it only takes 2-4 weeks for both the recipient's and donor's livers to regenerate to full size! I hope we can get him to come to AZCOM and give his presentation to the SOSA club (including the video of one operation).

I also had lunch today with a couple PhDs Profs, a journal club they are starting up. I'm hoping to help with research one is doing this Spring (part-time) and Summer (full-time). I will be experimenting on PARC, an enzyme I know almost nothing about. However, it is crucial to managing P53 (and hence apoptosis), telomeres (aging) and several other pathways with huge pathological and pharmaceutical relevance. Sounds like we'll use UV energy to mutate specific regions of the enzyme. Bottom line is I make a few bucks, get some great bench time, hopefully get published and add some great experience to my CV for residency applications in a couple years (I've never done real research). Working with DNA and protein tools and technologies will be cool too.

Anyway, time to put the kids down and drive to the student lounge. I haven't gotten much studying this week so it's time to really hit the books. After the AMSA thing last night I crashed at 10:30pm and got a great night's sleep. I also did pretty well on my first OMM practical. I should add that I'm thinking more and more about family practice/primary care with some OMM. There are some real benefits - besides less stress in medical school.

Enough for now. We'll see how I'm doing after finals, while I'm enjoying two weeks of R&R.

No comments: