Friday, September 03, 2004

First Week of Medical School

Getting a cold and hacking through 30+ hours of crowded lectures isn't the most enjoyable way to start medical school, nor the best way to meet your fellow first year classmates. However, I must say that it was an incredible week.

I am already beginning to appreciate: how great my big bro and big sis are; how the faculty really are pretty good; how the campus is outstanding; and how the coursework - while being every bit as hard as I expected - is going to be fabulous.

Yesterday we had our first real dissection of the cadaver. Very interesting stuff! We only got through the superficial muscles, tissue and vasculature of the back, but it was really interesting. OMM (Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine) on Wednesday was a real kick. It will be a great break from lectures in the middle of the week and the atmosphere is really fun. Even Biochem is interesting when taught from a clinical perspective.

There were more memorable experiences, but I'm pretty exhausted. Even though we don't have a test on Monday (Memorial Day) many of classmates are talking about studying 8 hours a day for the 3-day weekend! I need some rest so I can host my folks (they are staying with us for the weekend) and squeeze in a dozen or more hours of studying between my wife's work and study schedule. Yikes.

Oh, and it was "payday". My student loans check came through so tuition is paid and the extra is in the checking account :-).

No comments: