Monday, September 13, 2004

Studying for First Big Test

Week two ended fine. Muscles for spine for Anatomy and Histology won't be too hard. But signal transduction for Biochem went right over my head. This upcoming week is going to be LONG, studying for Tuesday's A & H test and then next Monday's Biochem test.

The upperclassmen were great and put on a mock practical test for us that helped me anticipate how the testing would run. Saturday morning was spent cementing the back structures in my mind on several cadavers (and deciding against trying to study with a cute girl I met there - not sharp enough). Saturday afternoon was going over Histo with an eclectic study group. I had a blast for my first time with them even though there was six of us. It was productive but I really felt behind in Histo. Sunday (today) I finished outlining Histo lecture notes on notecards (and getting those stinking stains straight). This evening I went through a bunch of slides. That is the hardest part. It's a skill and memorization won't help you much. You have to know the details that differentiate slides (ex. magenta stains are likely goblet cells or glycocalyx), but that isn't enough. You have to get familiar with the slides to know when you're seeing muscle, neural or connective tissues. Ugh.

As an aside, last week was club week. I joined too many, but will narrow it down as I see what they do: SOSA, SOMA, AMSA, AMA (I think), Medical Spanish, Peds, UAAO (OMM stuff) and Family Matters. The extracurricular stuff is going to get messy before I get it all sorted out. On top of clubs, we're already getting inundated with volunteer and work study opportunities plus preceptor stuff is starting up.

I'm finally over my cold, so it's time to get back into a workout routine. But the test and sleep take precedence for now.

No comments: